There”s something comforting about igloos. You work all day, digging and sculpting the snow, until you can finally crawl inside and enjoy your masterpiece. It felt safe and warm, despite it being a small, confined ice cave.
While some of my igloos never came to complete fruition, there are plenty of people out there who have mastered the art of igloo construction. Check out these 13 igloos that are not only amazing looking, but are also incredibly innovative.
1. This igloo builder dyed the ice blocks with food coloring. When lit from the inside, the beauty of the colorful blocks is highlighted.
2. This crazy igloo was constructed by artist Ralf Schmerberg, and is made entirely out of refrigerators.
3. Here”s a more futuristic looking igloo, with some lovely grass growing on the roof, contrasting with the black, geometric exterior.
4. This igloo is made entirely out of books – though not exactly weather-proof, it”s still pretty awesome.
5. This igloo is a little scary – it is modeled after the Castle of Grayskull.
6. This beautiful interconnected series of igloos is located in Finland. Imagine a whole neighborhood of these things!
7. This looks like an awesome vacation spot. A hot tub inside of a roofless igloo seems like a pretty good place to relax.
8. For all of you recyclers out there, this igloo is made entirely out of plastic gallon milk containers.
9. This winter wonderland looks like a nice spot to be!
10. I”ve gotta say it, there”s no “cooler” igloo out there.
11. While this one is perhaps not ideal for cool temps, it”s definitely an igloo tent I”d take on a summer camping trip!
12. Now here”s a sturdy, warm, and waterproof igloo tent to take on your cold weather trips!
13. For sure, the coolest dinner party you”ll ever be invited to!
These really make me want to build an igloo for myself. With enough snow and a good group of friends, we can all go back to our childhood snow days – who”s in?