Happy Tuesday readers! I feel like I have an extra spring in my step today and I think it’s due to the fact that the weather has been so perfect lately. I’ve been savoring each and every day outside before the winter rolls back in.
Today I have a delicious salad recipe for you to grill up and a review of a fun little product that was recently sent to me. I’m a huge fan of brown bagging it for lunch but always get frustrated by having 3-4 containers floating around in my lunch bag. Enter Laptop Lunches. When I saw these containers I knew that they were the answer to my problem and just had to have one. Lucky for me they said that I could pick one to call my own. I chose this beautifully colored Bistro Bento Box which I thought would be the perfect fit for my lunches. I found that this box worked perfectly to pack a salad for lunch with a separate container for the dressing. There was even one additional compartment for a side item. One of my favorite parts was that the container that I put my dressing in did not leak at all!
It’s back to school time and so I would highly suggest looking into getting one of these for yourself or your children. They are sturdy, microwave/dishwasher safe and BPA-free. Seriously, they didn’t pay me to say any of these nice things.
So with that, I have this tasty Grilled Sesame Chicken Salad, perfect for lunches or dinner. If you’re a fan of Asian salads, you’ll love this!
- Dressing and Marinade
- Â¼ c low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp finely minced ginger
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- Â½ tsp salt, then more to taste as desired
- Â¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Â¼ cup chopped green onions, green and white parts
- 2 (9 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb napa cabbage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1Â½ – 2 cups matchstick carrots, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
- â cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
- Â½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 chopped green onions, green and white parts
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds (or an additional 1 tsp white, toasted)
- For the marinade: In a mixing bowl (or 2-cup liquid measuring cup), whisk together soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha and Â½ tsp salt (adding more salt to taste as desired.) Add chicken breasts to a large resealable bag and add 3 Tbsp of the marinade mixture, reserving remaining. Seal bag and rub marinade over chicken, then transfer chicken to refrigerator and let marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- For the dressing: Add red wine vinegar and Â¼ cup chopped green onions to marinade mixture and whisk to blend. Set aside (chill in refrigerator if marinating chicken longer than 1 hour).
- For the salad: Heat a grill or grill pan over stove top over medium-high heat. Brush grill lightly with canola or vegetable oil, then place marinated chicken on grill and cook, about 4 minutes per side, or until chicken has cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Then, cut chicken crosswise into strips about Â¼-inch thick.
- To assemble salad: In a large bowl toss together cabbage, chicken, carrots, almonds, 3 chopped green onions, and cilantro with enough dressing to coat salad. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds and serve.